Why does the Smart-ID expire?
Just like you need to renew your passport and/or ID card time from time, also electronic signatures issued via Smart-ID must meet various legal requirements, one of which is renewal of Smart-ID every three years. This will verify that your Smart-ID is linked to the relevant person and their personal data.
What happens if Smart-ID is not renewed?
If the date of expiry arrives before you’ve managed to renew the Smart-ID, you will no longer be able to continue using it to access Internet Banking, receive e-services, confirm transactions or sign documents.
How to find out the expiry date of my Smart-ID?
You have several options:
You can always check the status of your Smart-ID in the app: “User info” → “Account active until:”
Do I need the device where my Smart-ID was initially installed to renew the Smart-ID?
Yes, because the Smart-ID account is linked to the device. The renewal process is performed on the same device if the app has been updated to version 18. The old Smart-ID account is deleted during the renewal process because a new account is registered.
How to update the Smart-ID app version?
If the user has enabled automatic updating of all apps, the new version of the Smart-ID app will be installed automatically and the user does not need to do anything.
If the user has not enabled automatic updates, this can be done manually. The user needs to go Google Play or AppStore, locate the Smart-ID app and choose “Update”.
How to renew your Smart-ID account?
There are several ways to do it. Choose the one that suits you best:
- Do the renewal yourself via the Smart-ID app in Smart-ID Basic if the app has been updated to version 18; follow the guide in the link: Smart-ID page
- Register Smart-ID QES on your own with biometric identification or eID card
- Go to branch, book the consultation in advance
What is Smart-ID biometric identification?
Smart-ID biometric identification is the latest and most innovative Smart-ID remote registration method.
To use the automatic biometric identification, you need to have had a Smart-ID account in the past. In addition to the above, you need:
- a passport or eID card;
- a smart device with NFC support;
- a smart device with a camera;
- Android version 5 or iOS 13;
- access to mobile phone number/e-mail that was specified for previously registered Smart-ID account.
When should the Smart-ID biometric identification be used for Smart-ID registration?
The automatic biometric identification method is very convenient for all users. Users are recommended use biometric identification if:
- they wish to change the Smart-ID PIN codes;
- a new device has been purchased;
- Smart-ID is about to expire or has expired;
- they want to upgrade their Smart-ID account, from Smart-ID Basic to Smart-ID Qualified Electronic Signature.
Important! To use the biometric identification, you need to have a valid Smart-ID or have had a Smart-ID account in the past.
If you’re a Swedbank customer, then to enable the option to log in to Internet Banking with Smart-ID Basic registered at another bank, please log in with the code card, PIN calculator or eID card and activate the Smart-ID on the “Settings” page under “My contacts and settings”.
If you’re a Swedbank customer and you have Smart-ID QES that is registered with another bank, you can log in to Swedbank Internet Banking without activation using the registered Smart-ID QES.
You’re not a Swedbank customer yet, you can apply for account opening here.